The plainness of this silver communion cup is typical of the Church of Ireland plate of its period. It has a large deep bowl, slender stem, plain boss and a circular foot. The bowl is inscribed and dated. The inscription shows that it was the gift of Anne, Countess of Tyrone, to the church of Mothell, Co. Waterford, in 1697. Anne (née Rickards of Danganspidogue, Co. Kilkenny) married James Power, 3rd earl of Tyrone, in 1693. The mark of the maker SW, for Samuel Wilder, a Dublin silversmith, the harp crowned and the date letter L for 1696-8 are shown clearly on the cup.