17th Century (possibly)
File of material relating to a map of Limerick. Includes photocopy of object description sheet which states that it shows Limerick as it was circa 1637-45 (date unspecified). However, this date is disputed in other documents. Photocopy of photograph of object on verso; photocopy of paper by Paul M. Kerrigan entitled 'Fortifications in Tudor Ireland 1547-1603' published in 'Fortress' (issue number 7, November 1990) which contains image of the map and dates to it to circa 1590. Kerrigan writes that creator of map was possibly Edmund Yorke who was sent to Ireland in 1589 and worked on [improving Limericks fortifications]; photocopy of the map (date unspecified); letter (23 January 1994) from Paul M. Kerrigan (address withheld) to Mairead Dunlevy, Director, Hunt Museum, enclosing above article. Notes that the map is similar to some made by Yorke of Yarmouth and defences on the Suffolk and Norfolk coasts in 1588. Requests colour image of present object which he hopes to include in a forthcoming publication 'Castles and Fortifications in Ireland 1485-1945' to be published by Collins Press, circa 1994; postcard (postmarked 23 February 1994) from Kerrigan to Dunlevy thanking her for the slide; extract from paper by Kerrigan entitled 'The Fortifications of Waterford, Passage and Duncannon 1495 to 1690' taken from 'Decies,' the journal of the Old Waterford Society (volume XXIX, summer 1985). Annotation states that this article is important for present object, hitherto dated to circa 1650; letter (16 August 1995) from Kenneth Wiggins (address withheld) to Mairead Dunlevy, Hunt Museum. Informs her that image of present object will be inserted in a thesis; later letter (13 July 2000) from Wiggins (address withheld) states that thesis was written by him on King Johns Castle, Limerick, and submitted to University College, Cork. He now requests another image of map to illustrate a paper he is due to give; reply (21 July 2000) from Fiona Davern, Registrar, Hunt Museum, encloses image; in another letter (9 August 2000) Wiggins requests permission from Davern to publish partial image of map in forthcoming book, provisionally named, 'The siege of King John's Castle, Limerick, 1642' which is to be published by Wordwell Limited, Bray, county Wicklow, in late 2000; letter (31 August 2000) from Wiggins to Davern requests physical access to the map; paper by Wiggins entitled 'The medieval fortifications of Limerick' printed out from website (12 February 2005); letter (12 September 1998) from David Smith (address withheld) to the Hunt Museum, requesting access to a map of Waterford he believes is held by the Hunt Museum. Gives manuscript number of Trinity College Dublin where a copy of map is held; copy of reply (9 October 1998) from Michael Holland, Registrar, Hunt Museum, informing him that map in the collection depicts Limerick but acknowledges there is some confusion about this. States that if John Hunt, Senior, had another map in his collection at some time he would welcome information about it; letter (10 January 2001) from John Andrews (address withheld) to Hunt Museum, requesting photocopy of maps of Limerick and Waterford he believes are held by the Hunt Museum. He plans to include them in a catalogue of regional maps of Ireland before 1630 which he is compiling on disc for private distribution to libraries and former colleagues; copy of reply (date unspecified) from Davern to Andrews reiterating that the map of Waterford is not held by the Hunt Museum and granting permission to publish; letter (14 February 2001) from Andrews to Davern. He wonders why a professional engineer like Yorke 'would spend so much time filling in the houses and gardens on his map in such an impressionistic way. It is also odd that the fort, bastions etc. on this map should be so similar to those shown by John Speed in 1610 without appearing at all on the map of c. 1602 attributed to William Jones'; photocopies of extracts from two unidentified publications containing images of the map (dates unspecified).
Map of Limerick | Unknown artist | Paper | 17th century | The Hunt Collection | PD