During this Science Week programme, primary school pupils will learn how materials in the Hunt Museum Permanent Collection decay and degrade over time, and the science behind preserving them for the future.
- Resource 1 is designed to be presented in class. Pupils will be introduced to objects in the Hunt Museum’s Collection, and they will learn to classify the objects based on their materials as organic or inorganic.
- Resource 2 is designed to be printed out for pupils. Through a series of practical experiments, pupils will explore how some of the materials in the Hunt Museum Permanent Collections erode.
- Resource 3 is a presentation introducing pupils to the methods of preservation and restoration carried out in the Hunt Museum
- Pupils will learn to sort and classify objects from the Hunt Museum Permanent Collection based on their material
- Pupils will experiment with different types of degradative processes on a variety of materials
- By analysing the results of the experiments, pupils will form conclusions about methods of preservation and restoration of objects from the Hunt Museum Permanent Collection.