Regarded as the most distinguished 18th century building in Limerick, the Customs House is an elegant Palladian-style building designed by the Italian architect, Davis Ducart, in 1765. It was the administrative centre for the Revenue Commissioners (including Customs and Excise) in Limerick and it was also the home of the Collector. In the 1840s with the introduction of a new postal system a Penny Post Office was opened in the Customs House.
The Office of Public Works undertook the major restoration and refurbishment of the building completing it in 1996 and so realised the dream of John and Gertrude Hunt to have their collection housed in Limerick. The Customs House opened as The Hunt Museum on 14 February 1997.